CFTRA Briefing – January 2011
Camden Regeneration Plans
A summary of: Camden Community Investment Programme CENV/2010/55
Report to Cabinet 1.12.10 by Alison Griffin AD Regen & Partnerships 020 7974 6960
This is a 15-year programme of community investment proposals. Estate regeneration proposals are scheduled for years 5-15 only.
- In nine areas these are coordinated in ‘place shaping’ plans to change the local area.
- Other proposals relate to council-owned shops, community centres and car parks, many on council estates.
Many of these sites are targeted for redevelopment in the Property Area Reviews, to raise £100 million in receipts by selling off property and sites (see http://democracy.camden.gov.uk/mgConvert2PDF.aspx?ID=882 Financial Strategy: para 9.13 receipts from the Community Investment Programme).
The Community Investment Programme is a ‘self-funding property improvements programme that also delivers significant capital receipts and revenue savings…In order to achieve the capital receipt and revenue targets there will need to be a significant number of unencumbered sales for the highest price possible.’ (3.4)
Cabinet agreed to begin consultation and contracting bids to set up a design team.
Four Cabinet members will form a steering group for the big ‘place shaping’ proposals: Councillors Sarah Hayward; Julian Fulbrook, Heather Johnson, Theo Blackwall. Decisions will be approved by full Cabinet.
Decisions on smaller estate and housing proposals can/will be made by the Director for Housing with the Cabinet member. These are not expected to go to Cabinet.
Summary list of housing-related proposals (for full list see Report)
- redevelop St Pancras community centre and flats, with sell off St Martin’s community centre
- 62-67 Plender St shops and doctor’s surgery redeveloped for retail and housing.
- Miller St (Fairfield and Brierfield estate) parking and garages redeveloped for housing.
- Cranleigh St (Mayford estate) garages – redevelop for housing.
- William, Stanhope and Netley Streets – redevelop Primary Pupil referral Unit, Netley primary school and Community Learning Centre and the Surma Centre and possibly housing storage site on of north side Everton Buildings. Plans include ‘new private and affordable housing’ alongside education, play and community facilities.
Regent’s Park estate
– Children’s centre, Augustus/Stanhope St Car Park – redevelop for private and affordable housing, children’s centre and shops.
- Dick Collins Hall (Regents Park Tenants Association social club) – redevelop or move.
- Varndell St – redevelop open space for housing.
- Robert St Car Parks near Browndale and Rydale Water – redevelop.
- Ampthill Square Estate, Eversholt St – redevelop shops, pub, medical centre and exclusion project centre.
- Peckwater estate – redevelop open space sites and TRA hall for new housing.
- Ingestre Rd estate – minor or major redevelopment of blocks and old people’s home , with new housing, community centre and open space.
- Willingham Close, Leighton Rd – redevelop garages, parking and open space for housing.
- Clarence Way, Castlehaven – redevelop garage site.
- ? Heybridge Garages, Hadley St??
- Ashington Garages, West Kentish Town Estate – redevelop for housing.
- Holmes Road Hostel – options being explored.
- Cromer Street Mosque, Sandfield House – redevelop facility with dual use for all residents
- Agar Grove estate- redevelop parking and play space and ‘provide new homes for existing residents in a mixed tenure development’.
- Ossulston St estate – development opportunities include High speed 2; redevelopment of Somers Town Community Centre; Plender St commercial and residential redevelopment; options for Richard Cobden school; however the area ‘would be a net recipient of investment – there is little scope for development and the housing is Listed at Grade II’.
Major redevelopment being considered involving ‘the Council’s extensive land holdings across housing estates and the General Fund’. Council aim is to ‘develop new services, housing and decant capacity and to generate capital receipts’ to fund wider improvements. Master plan to be commissioned
Five other small housing sites for potential redevelopment:
- Grafton Terrace and garages, Maitland Park TRA Hall.
Redevelop site for housing, with community facilities rebuilt on garage site.
- Lamble End new homes near Waxham and Ludham estate.
- Mansfield End – new homes at junction with Mansfield Rd.
- Kiln Place – new family homes on edge of estate.
Major redevelopment site around three stations on West End Lane, and surrounds. Area earmarked for up to 1,400 new homes and 7,000 sq m business space. Needs primary school places
District Housing Office 156 West End Lane – to be sold for 150 new private and ‘affordable’ homes.
- Webheath Estate and nearby sites- ‘rationalise’ facilities for elders, dementia sufferers, children’s centre and workshops in one building, redevelop Netherwood Street Day Centre for private housing
- Kingsgate Community Centre: redevelop for private housing and rebuild new centre elsewhere (possibly in the single community building for all services on Webheath)
- Liddell Rd light industrial units – preferred site for new primary school
Development ‘opportunities’ in Alexandra and Ainsworth and Abbey estates
[add master planning using both housing and other council owned land – see sep report].
Also following sites are components of the plan:
- 1-8 Langtry Walk/61-63 Loudoun Rd – redevelopment
- Belsize Priory Health Clinic, 208 Belsize Rd – possibly redevelop for housing
- Abbey Rd Care Park, Belsize Rd – redevelop for mix of housing, commercial and community space
- Abbey Community Centre 222C Belsize Rd – redevelop for housing, commercial and community use
- Langtry Children’s Centre 11-29 Langtry Rd – redevelop for housing with Children’s centre on smaller site here or elsewhere
- Abbey Hive Community Centre 84-86 Abbey Rd – redevelop for community and/or housing or other use
Other small sites for potential redevelopment in Kilburn include:
- Eresby Place Underground Car Park
- Kilburn Vale Estate new homes on sites around estate and within existing buildings
- 177 Finchley Rd – block with 29 council flats, shops and car park – possible redevelopment for private housing.
- Finchley, Lithos and Rosemont Rd shops and flats – possible sale.
- Lithos Rd – possible sale of community centre to property company (‘special purchaser’)
- Adelaide Rd estate: 2 sites
a) Blashford House, Adelaide Medical Centre and Modern Garage. – ‘there is scope for a new residential building’ including new medical centre.
b) Rear of Bray tower – new low rise housing
- Hilgrove Garages (between Hilgrove and Dobson Close) – redevelop for private and other housing, play and open space.
- Broadfield End, Broadhurst Gardens – develop site on edge of Broadfield estate.
- Old Westcroft Estate – increase density by redeveloping existing low rise homes, or through infill.
- Orde Hall St, Tybalds Estate – develop family houses.